The outermost regions of Europe (such us Madeira) host 80% of the biodiversity of Europe. Biodiversity monitoring and awareness are one of the major aspects in terms of research and impact in these regions.
ITI is contributing to this strategic goal by implementing novel sensing and citizen science methods to understand, study and raise awareness about the biodiversity of species of Madeira Islands. Our approach follows that many of the endemic and migrant species may be used as platforms of opportunity to gather detailed environmental information especially, because these animals can collect information from logistically difficult areas, at fine temporal and spatial resolution, and at relatively low cost.
ITI is contributing to the following goals:
i) developing and testing environmental and animal friendly low-cost sensors for monitoring biodiversity and environmental conditions;
ii) generate techniques to validate data acquired by innovative sensors against sophisticated gold standards;
iii) develop personal, business, scientific, and civic technological platforms for better understanding and situating actions, choices, and self in the context of the outermost regions of Europe.
Reaching these high level goals provides several contributions:
i) improve existing open-hardware and open-software platforms for environmental monitoring and biologging particularly for the context of coastal and oceanographic research;
ii) test low-cost communication technologies (e.g. emerging IoT standards such us lora) for near-shore and data mule strategies using maritime ships and other vehicles;
iii) deploy citizen science and other gamification approaches to leverage crowdsourcing and generalization of data gathering and classification efforts.
- Promoting public stewardship of the deep blue sea through real time interaction with a mesophotic reef, NAFKI
- €1.1M INTERTAGUA Interfaces Aquáticas Interativas para Deteção e Visualização da Megafauna Marinha Atlântica e Embarcações na Macaronésia usando Marcadores Rádio-transmissores. Ref: MAC2/1.1.a /385
- €240k LARGESCALE Location-based Augmented Reality Gadgets and Environment-friendly Sightseeing of Cultural Attractions for Locals and Excursionists. Ref: FCT PIDDAC #32474
References to the Research
- Radeta, M., Nunes, N. J., Vasconcelos, D., & Nisi, V. (2018, June). Poseidon-passive-acoustic ocean sensor for entertainment and interactive data-gathering in opportunistic nautical-activities. In Proceedings of the 2018 Designing Interactive Systems Conference (pp. 999-1011).
- Radeta, M., Ribeiro, M., Vasconcelos, D., Lopes, J., Sousa, M., Monteiro, J., & Nunes, N. J. (2019, September). SeaMote-Interactive Remotely Operated Apparatus for Aquatic Expeditions. In IFIP Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 237-248). Springer, Cham.
- Radeta, M., Ribeiro, M., Vasconcelos, D., Noronha, H., & Nunes, N. J. (2020, March). LoRaquatica: Studying Range and Location Estimation using LoRa and IoT in Aquatic Sensing. In 2020 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PerCom Workshops) (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Radeta, M et al. (2020, June). INTERAQUATICA-Designing Interactive Aquatic Experiences with Geodesic Domes In-the-Wild. In ACM International Conference on Interactive Media Experiences (pp. 170-173).
- Prandi, C., Nisi, V., Loureiro, P., & Nunes, N. J. (2020). Storytelling and remote-sensing playful interventions to foster biodiversity awareness. International Journal of Arts and Technology, 12(1), 39-59.
- Baerten, N., Tassinari, V., Huybrechts, L., Bertolotti, E., (2020, June). 2030 International RHIZomatic Assembly (IRHIZA). Situated action at the 16th Participatory Design Conference PDC2020 – Participation(s) otherwise. Manizales, Colombia, Universidad de Caldas — https://www.pdc2020.org/programme/situatedactions/.
Sources to Corroborate the Impact
- Nuno Nunes invited participation at the 14th Annual National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI) conference “Discovering the Deep Blue Sea: Research, Innovation, Social Engagement” from November 9-12 in Irvine CA, U.S. https://www.m-iti.org/content/m-iti-professor-nuno-nunes-presents-project-about-ocean-madeira
- Marko Radeta
- Nuno Nunes
- Valentina Nisi
- Catia Prandi