Overall, the research contributions in this topic are centered around: i) the development and real-world deployment of non-intrusive sensing infrastructures, such as electricity monitoring [4, 5] and EV smart-charging ; ii) design and evaluation of advanced eco-feedback approaches such as mid-air controls for the smart-home [7, 8], and peer-to-peer energy sharing [3, 6]; and iii) performance evaluation and value proposition of machine learning algorithms [2, 10], and smart-grid technologies such as energy storage devices .
So far, this work has led to the successful application of four Research & Development grants:
i) the Smart Solar Energy Monitoring and Management project (SmartSolar), where our hardware-software platforms were used to monitor energy consumption and micro-production from solar PV installations,
ii) the H2020 SME instrument phase I, with prsma.com (an ITI spin-off for sustainable energy research and development) aimed at developing and exploring business feasibility of the EnergySpectrum energy monitoring and eco-feedback platform for domestic environments,
iii) the H2020 Smart Island Energy Systems project (SMILE) aimed at demonstration the real-word applicability and viability of smart-grid technologies in Madeira Island, including energy storage, EV smart charging stations, and peer-to-peer energy trading; and iv) the Future Industrial Kitchen (FIK), where the hardware and software platforms were extended and later deployed in the context of industrial kitchens to monitor and provide eco-feedback on resource consumption, such as individual appliance electricity demand, and hot cold water consumption.
- SmartSolar, MADFDR-01-0190-FEDER-000015 (funding: Madeira Region II / + Conhecimento II)
- EnergySpectrum, https://sme.easme-web.eu/beneficiary/927110481?b=927110481 (funding: EU / H2020-SMEINST-1-2015)
- SMILE, https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/731249 (funding: H2020-LCE-2016-SGS)
Future Industrial Kitchen, M1420-01-0247-FEDER-000018 (funding: Madeira 14-20 – Pró-Ciência)
References to the Research
- Pereira, L, Cavaleiro, J, Barros, L, ‘Economic Assessment of Solar-Powered Residential Battery Energy Storage Systems: the case of Madeira Island, Portugal’. MDPI Applied Sciences. 2020 Oct
- Pereira L., Nunes N. An empirical exploration of performance metrics for event detection algorithms in Non-Intrusive Load Monitoring. Sustainable Cities and Society. 2020 Nov 1;62:102399.
- Scuri, S., & Nunes, N. J. (2020). PowerShare 2.0: A Gamified P2P Energy Trading Platform. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI 2020), Article nº 92, (pp. 1-3). doi: 10.1145/3399715.3399948
- Faustine, A., Pereira, L. and Klemenjak, C., ‘Adaptive Weighted Recurrence Graphs for Appliance Recognition in Non-Intrusive Load Monitoring’, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, pp. 1–1, 2020, doi: 10.1109/TSG.2020.3010621.
- Pereira L, Nunes N. Understanding the practical issues of deploying energy monitoring and eco-feedback technology in the wild: Lesson learned from three long-term deployments. Energy Reports. 2019 Dec 25;6:94–106.
- Scuri S, Tasheva G, Barros L, Nunes NJ. An HCI Perspective on Distributed Ledger Technologies for Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading. In: Lamas D, Loizides F, Nacke L, Petrie H, Winckler M, Zaphiris P, editors. Human-Computer Interaction – INTERACT 2019.
- Esteves, A., Quintal, F., Caires, F., Baptista, V., & Mendes, P. (2019, June). Wattom: Ambient Eco-feedback with Mid-air Input. In 2019 5th Experiment International Conference (exp. at’19) (pp. 12-15). IEEE.
- Quintal, F., Esteves, A., Caires, F., Baptista, V., & Mendes, P. (2019, March). Wattom: A Consumption and Grid Aware Smart Plug with Mid-air Controls. In Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (pp. 307-313).
- Quintal, F., Scuri, S., Barreto, M., Pereira, L., Vasconcelos, D., & Pestana, D. (2019, May). MyTukxi: Low Cost Smart Charging for Small Scale EVs. In: Extended Abstracts of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Paper nº LBW0161, (pp. 1-6). doi: 10.1145/3290607.3312874
Pereira L, Nunes N. Performance evaluation in non-intrusive load monitoring: Datasets, metrics, and tools—A review. WIREs DMKD. 2018 Nov 1;8(6):e1265.
Sources to Corroborate the Impact
- Prof. Wilfried Elmenreich, Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, Klagenfurt, Austria (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prof. Mario Bergés, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA (email@example.com)
- Prof. Alex Rogers, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr.-Ing. Andreas Reinhardt, Technische Universität Clausthal, Clausthal, Germany (email@example.com)
- Ing. Giannicola Loriga, Rina Consulting S.p.A., Genoa, Italy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Filipe Quintal
- Lucas Pereira
- Mary Barreto
- Augusto Esteves
- Nuno Nunes
- Sabrina Scuri